Sunday, May 20, 2012

It Almost Happened...

This past weekend was Kevin's Senior Prom.  I can write that, say that, look at pictures, and hear all his stories without shedding a tear...but it was close! 

I have some wonderful friends here.  When you are an expat, you automatically have a common bond with so many people.  Making friends is really easy.  You can walk into a room full of people and strike up a conversation because you always have an opening line - "How long have you lived in Dubai?".  Of course there are many other questions that follow quite easily;   "Where are you from?"; "Where did you move from?", and "How long will you be here?".  It is a quick and easy list, but that common bond of being an expat makes friendships grow rapidly.    

I didn't know that I was also entering another realm of friendships this year.  It is the bond of the Senior Mom.  We have spent several months now doing everything we can to make the last year of our childs' primary education a fun and exciting experience.  We have counted down the days till graduation; we have proudly worn T-shirts at school functions that define us as "Senior Moms", we have met monthly to pass out special treats to our kids, and have shared the college application cheers and tears.   It is a friendship bond that I didn't expect.  It has been an incredibly pleasant surprise. 

For months now I have heard my Senior Mom friends talk about happenings that have brought them to tears.  There was the first and then the last soccer game (or volleyball game, baseball game, or race).  There was the UCC - Ultimate Class Competition - a field day competition for the 9th-12th grades.  The musical, the final school carnival, and then the first college acceptance.  There have been so many events that have brought my dear friends to tears.  There also have been a variety of songs that seem to have the same effect.  We share all of these moments through facebook status updates, and discuss them thoroughly at lunch.    So I have to admit that nothing this year has made me cry...yet.  No song, no final event or final school celebration.  Not even decorating the hallway for the seniors brought a tear.  But, then we came to the Senior Prom.

This past weekend Kevin put on his new suit, picked up the corsage he had ordered for his date, and made plans for his night out on the town with his peers.  I was great with all the plans; told him how great he looked; took pictures.  Then, the drive to the Pre-Prom happened.  Every year an ASD family hosts a party for all the Seniors, their dates, and their families.  On the way to pre-prom it hit me.  This was Kevin's SENIOR PROM!  Seriously!   I looked at Kevin and just said, "This is your Senior Prom!".  He answered, "yea, I know".  No big deal to him.  I felt like I just had my breath taken away.  Kevin kept staring at me while I was driving and asking if I was OK.  Of course I was, but this was Senior Prom.  We arrived at the Pre-Prom party, went inside where I found all my Senior Mom friends.  I immediately informed them this was "Senior Prom!"  They laughed, said they knew, and just kept snapping pictures of these amazingly beautiful young ladies and young men.

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes.  A tear never hit my cheek, but it was pretty darn close.  Kevin seemed to take great pleasure in telling his friends that I was finally crying.  No song, no other event, no college planning has made me cry.  But the Senior Prom.  That just about did it!    I think Kevin wants me to cry.  He keeps asking me if I'll cry at graduation.  I just don't know.  I am so happy for him, for all he has become, and for the marvelous future that lies before him.   Cry at graduation?  I just don't know...is that something I have to plan now?  I'll work on it!

Kevin and all of the Class of 2012 graduates.  Enjoy these final days, these final moments.  Know the tears that have been shed all year are truly tears of happiness and joy.  They are tears of pride for who you have become and tears of joyful anticipation for all that you will be. 
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment