Wednesday, August 24, 2011

THIS EXPAT LIFE OF MINE!

OK, so one year ago I decided to start a blog.  I am now ready for my second post!  I never got into the habit of blogging because I wanted it to look really fun and interesting, like my friend's blog.  Well, forget that!  The most important thing for right now is that I want to blog my entire last year as an expat.  If I have time to add pics and fun stuff, then it will happen.

Secondly, I am stealing the title from a friend of Sarah's.  I always see on Facebook Nicole writes "This Life of Mine" and puts comments; her favorite things and happenings.  Well, now I will use her example and write about This Expat Life of Mine.  I will write about daily happenings, if it is an interesting day.  If not, I'll recap something about our past year.  I will hopefully have a nice diary for our final year of adventure. 

First official post of my final year!  I am writing from Barcelona.  We have just finished our final summer visiting "home".  The kids and I left Dubai at the end of June, spent four days in Holland, then four weeks in Houston, two weeks in Chicago, and 10 days in Rhode Island.  We had a wonderful time.  Jim was able to join us for one week in Houston and for one week in Rhode Island.  Because our summer visits home are crazy with shopping, eating, and catching up with friends and family, we decided to add Barcelona as the final leg of our trip.  While we are all ready to be back in Dubai, this final week of holiday gives us a chance to regroup as a family.  We have such a good time sharing stories over dinner, sightseeing, playing games, and just plain old hanging out.  It is really what we needed.  

Leaving the States this year was harder than the past 3 summers.  I think that us knowing we'd be moving back in just a year made us want it even more.  Last year we had the anticipation of our move to Dubai, had my friend, Trish, meeting us in Holland for one last hurrah (her 40th birthday was the real occasion),  that leaving the States was relatively easy.  Oh yes, there are ALWAYS tears, but we knew we had a new adventure on the horizon and we were actually a little excited.    This year, it is like seeing the presents under the Christmas tree and then being told you can not open them!  We are so ready to be back home.  The tears were abundant.  We are all OK now and ready to start school again and get back into the swing of our crazy life.

So, enough for Day 1!  I am really dedicated this year to doing this.  No, not like a New Years' resolution dedicated, but for me, myself, and I, dedicated.  I want to write down some of these feelings, thoughts, and events so that I don't forget them! 







No comments:

Post a Comment