Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Last First or First Last?

Yesterday the kids started school. After a long summer of travel, which included visits with family, friends, colleges, Spain, and a total of 11 airports, they were ready to be back into their routine.

It was a first last for me, or wait...was it a last first? I have heard the phrase "last first" for a few years now. I remember a soccer player at ASH being emotionally moved over her last first game of the season. Later she was again emotional about her last - last game! Now that I was faced with a last first, I'm a little confused! Yesterday was the last time I would drop the kids off for their first day of school together. With Kevin being a Senior, next year Brian and Sarah will head off to their first day of school without big brother in tow.

I really thought I would feel some wave of emotion as I saw them walk off together. I had mentally prepared myself for this overwhelming sadness that would occur. Kevin asked if I was going to cry. At the end of the day all three quizzed me on what I did during the day. I think there was an expectation of my coming home, sitting on the floor and weeping over baby pictures. Instead I had a nice workout and lunch with my wonderful friends.

So my first last first was very pleasant! I will admit that my mind did flash back to several other firsts. Like a snapshot in my mind I can see Kevin standing at the bottom of the steps of that great big yellow school bus getting ready for his first day of school. I have a wonderful vision of Kevin and Sarah walking into their new Oswego school together for their first day. We were new to the school. As they got out of the car they took a few steps, stopped and looked at each other, grabbed hands and walked in. They never looked back. The Chew crew had arrived!

My mind gives me snapshots of so many events in my childrens' lives. They all bring me happiness. Ok, I will admit some do bring me tears, but they are all wonderful memories.

So I survived my last- first. I know there are many, many more to come this year. I hope that each and every one of them are met with happiness, smiles, and warm memories of my first-first with Kevin.

Good luck Seniors. Class of 2012. And good luck to all the moms who are having their last firsts. May they only bring you wonderful memories and smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment